After a car accident, is the insurance company obligated to pay depreciation on the vehicle

Asked about 4 years ago - Atlanta, GA

We were rearended by a gentleman who was reaching for his cell phone...the self-insured company is only offering to pay to fix the truck.
We are arguing with the insurance company that we are due the depreciation on the vehicle. KBB at Good vs Fair value is $1500 difference but the insurance company said they will only pay the repairs. Is this right? do we have a viable argument?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Charles Michael Morris

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . In Georgia, the defendant is responsible for diminished value. This us supported by a Georgia Supreme Court Case.
    There are ways to set up the defendant/insurer for bad faith if they refuse to pay diminished value.
    The defendant/insurer may say they calculate the diminished value by using a formula approved by the insurance commissioner's office. This is false. The insurance commissioner has never approved such a formula.
    Have a proper diminished value appraisal performed, send this to the defendant/insurer with a demand for payment. If done properly, they can be set up for bad faith penalties and attorney fees.
    Furthermore, the use of the cell phone may lead to a charge for punitive damages.

  2. Skyler Alexander Taylor

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . You are entitled to the decreased value of your vehicle. Most insurance companies like to use a formula that was mentioned in a famous case but has never been endorsed bt the Georgia Insurance Commissioner. That formula does not pay compensation if the vehicle has over 100,000 miles. You do have options and you probably should talk with an accident attorney for more information.

  3. J. Phillip Boston

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . Mr. Morris and Mr. Taylor are correct. I suggest you go to a vehicle "diminished value" calculator site on the web. A diminished value estimate will likely cost you $15-$20.00 or so.

  4. Glen Edward Ashman


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Andrew is not a Georgia lawyer and is incorrect. The other three lawyers answered correctly.

  5. Andrew Daniel Myers

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . No. They are only required to pay to repair the vehicle.

    This answer is provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided in an office consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, with experience in the area of law in which your concern lies.

Related Topics

Types of personal injuries

There are many types of personal injuries for which financial damages can be awarded, including physical, emotional, and psychological injuries.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,099 answers this week

2,460 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,099 answers this week

2,460 attorneys answering