After 4 wisdom teeth extractions, my jaw locked and I incurred medical expenses. Still having issues with the injury.

Powder Springs, GA |

My extractions were performed in December 2010, and most of December 2011 (from December 2010 - following surgery - through October 2011), my jaw was locked and I was undergoing therapy after having in patient surgery to unlock the jaw, numerous MRIs and CT Scans, many appointments with specialists in this field and incurred costs that were not covered by my insurance. To date, I am still having muscle spasms that relate to this accident and have been seeking help through chiropractor treatments. The pain hampers my ability to work or perform my regularly scheduled life requirements. I thought that by now, things would be back to normal, but they are far from normal. Do I have a case that I can and should pursue?

1. Are you looking at the dentist as the one responsible for your problems. If so, you would need to get your dental records and provide them to a medical malpractice attorney in your area. If they can find a dentist to opine that your dentist felle below the minimum competency level for the teeth extractions and that resulted in your injuries, that would be the only way to pursue such a case. A chiropractor is not going to treat for jaw injuries, but rather for neck and back. Are you suggesting the Dentist caused neck problems as well? These are all things to consider. Best of luck!

You should consult an attorney in your State at once.

2. I suspect that the terrible outcome you are experiencing is something that can happen even when the dentist does everything right. If so, you wouldn't have a case, most likely. But I do not know if this lock-jaw thing is truly considered an "accepted risk" of the procedure. You might talk to a new dentist and probe this. Ask why this is happening and how it might have been avoided. Keep it terms of physiology & anatomy rather than "I'm about to hire a lawyer!" Maybe you can get some insight. You may also want to get your dental records and share them with a local professional liability attorney.

3. Sorry for your situation. I would expect that some of these things discussed by the dentist when the work was being done and the was informed consent to the treatment and possible risks associated therein. Go to speak with another dentist and get a second opinion about the treatment and issues.

I am an Arizona attorney. AVVO does not pay us for our responses. Simply because I responded to your question does not mean I am your attorney. In Arizona a non-lawyer is held to the same standards as an attorney so there are dangers to representing yourself. This is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. If you require legal assistance an in depth discussion of your case is needed as there are many other issues to consider such as defenses, statute of limitations, etc.