Afraid extended overseas stay will trigger stoke interview!

Asked about 1 year ago - Houston, TX

When I came back from overseas I was sent to a secondary interview which lasted about 10hours, I was asked series of questions about my marriage and my long (7months) overseas stay. I have filled for the i-751 (With plenty of proofs) and waiting for the biometric which is taking very long (2months since I filed the i-751 but still didn't receive the appointment). I wonder if the interview I had with the CBP(Custom and Border Patrol) at the airport in hindering my case.
Thank you so much for your help and God bless.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your fear is reasonable. Hire an immigration attorney.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more
  2. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you were gone for 7 months ... without your spouse .. you should hire a lawyer and expect an interview.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  3. Pablo Husayn Nossa

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No, the fact that you were placed in secondary inspection is not the reason for the delay. That said, I agree with my colleague. You will likely have an interview and if you submitted insufficient evidence with your 751 filing an interview is likely.

    The answer provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice as not all facts are know by... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,882 answers this week

2,723 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,882 answers this week

2,723 attorneys answering