Affirmative defenses to false claim of emotional distress.

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Diego, CA

I’m suing my last landlord in superior court. The landlord filed a cross-complaint including a claim for intentional infliction of emotional distress. After I reported serious habitability defects to the landlord he failed to fix them and instead tried to blame me, falsely claiming destruction of property. However, I can prove I could not have caused the defects, including porpous walls with no weatherproofing and a faulty foundation through which ground water would seep into the apartment. I then complained to the county health dept. The health dept ordered repairs made but the landlord did nothing but retaliate and evict me. The landlord now claims that because of my alleged “destruction of property” and “fraudulent” complaints to the county health dept. he is entitled to damages for intentional infliction of emotional distress, which is false and in fact was due to my exercise of my legal rights as tenant. I have the photos of the defects and the county health dept report. Based on the above, what might be some obvious affirmative defenses to such a false claim?

1. Michael Charles Doland

Answered . Affirmative defenses are legal defenses not factual defenses. What you state above are factual defenses which don't need to be raised in the pleadings. I know my advice will appear obvious, but you will do much better if you have an attorney to consult from time to time on an hourly basis (called "unbundled services") if you cannot have one to represent you on all matters. There are some great Avvo attorneys in San Diego who may agree to give advice or review pleadings on an "as needed" basis. Avvo is not an adequate substitute.