Affidavit of support for my husband when i am not working

Asked over 2 years ago - San Francisco, CA

i have filed i-130 ,and am quite sure they will ask for the affidavit of support allthough im not working, is there anyway to avoid the affidavit and still recieve him here, or, can my husband , maybe even just a friend present there income for his proof of support?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Angela Dee Bortel

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Your question is missing some important information, such as your status. Also, we need to know it you filed an I-485 or will your husband be processing through a consulate. This is important information to determine which procedures you need to follow and when you will submit the affidavit of support.

    Generally, it is possible to also have joint sponsors or use the income and/or assets of other household members.

    However, as always, I recommend talking to a qualified immigration attorney about your husband's case to make sure that he is eligible to receive the benefit through you. He may have negative criminal or immigration history that might cause him to be ineligible. It's a good investment in your future.

    The above answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the... more
  2. Luis Alberto Guerra


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You, the petitioner, must fill one out (regarfless of employment). If you don't work or don't make enough to meet the "poverty guidelines" then you will need a co-sponsor.
    Luis A. Guerra, Esq.
    Law Office of Luis A. Guerra, PA
    Atrium Centre
    4801 South University Dr., Suite 252
    Fort Lauderdale, FL 33328

    Law Office of Luis A. Guerra (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as... more
  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . No, you cannot avoid filing an affidavit of support. You, as the petitioner, are required to file one. If your income is not enough, you must also get a co-sponsor to file one.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  4. Neil Ian Fleischer

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I agree, but an I-130 does not require an affidavit of support. Eventually one will be needed though, and a co-sponsor will be required if you do not make enough money

    Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,217 answers this week

3,002 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,217 answers this week

3,002 attorneys answering