Skip to main content

Affidavit of Support Can I use my house/property as an asset if I have no income at all when sponsoring an Immigrant

Naples, FL |

I am petitioning for my mom for the supporting documents:
Am I required to show proof of employment? I am a housewife so I can't provide documents

I own a house the value is more than 5X over the federal poverty line since I don't have any income can I use only the property asset when sponsoring my mom

if I can't use my house as an asset since my mom the immigrant works legally and is authorize can she be added as a joint sponsor on the i-864

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You indicated your husband works. If you file a joint tax return he will need to do an I-864A anyway so just count his income. Real estate is not liquid enough to count as an asset usually but other accounts would work.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration Law

2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
Fax: (619) 923-3277

Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law


More information is needed. Do you live with your husband? If so, does he earn an income and will he act as a co-sponsor? If not, then if your mother is working with n an employment authorization card or 'an appropriate visa,' then your mom can be added.

Note that some 'unlawfully work' on B1/B2 visitor visas. Make sure before you use your mom's income. Otherwise, the case can be denied. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.


You must count your husband's income since the household income is what counts. Your mother's income can be used only if she worked for six months or more legally. I completely disagree with my colleague. You can use the house if the value of the house minus the loan amount rises up to the 5X of the statutory income required for the household of your size. Reference USCIS form I864P for more specific guidance on the required income.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Lynne Rogers Feldman

Lynne Rogers Feldman


This may vary from District to District but we have had these facts disallowed on more than one occasion as not being liquid enough.



will my husband have to fill out a separate form?

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal


yes I864A

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer