Affidavit of support (I-864 )

Berlin, CT |

I am trying to sponsor my stepson who is applying for an immigrant visa. My latest federal tax return shows that I am several hundred dollars below the 2013 poverty guideline. I have more than $10,000.00 savings in the bank but the account is under a joint checking with my wife. Can I use that account as an asset or will NVC reject it since it's not solely in my name? My wife was approved as a LPR in October of 2012 and we file our federal income tax return this year together. If she combines her income with mine and also file a I-864A together with my I-864, it will be more than sufficient, but the problem is, she doesn't have 3 years tax return which the NVC requested. Please advise. Thank you.

You should be in Immigration.

We offer general concepts, but you should give ALL your facts to a licensed Attorney in your state before you RELY upon any legal advice.

I do not understand what you meant by I should be in immigration, Mr. Corson, can you be more specific!!

George Ellis Corson IV

George Ellis Corson IV

Your question was placed in Workers' Compensation, which has nothing to do with your I-864 Form. I transferred you into the Immigration Section, where those Experts can assist you with your Posting.

Thank- you. I honestly was not aware of that.

You should consult an attorney on this complex document. You could use joint accounts and your wife could provide the last year of taxes.

This answer is provided for general education purposes only and is not intended to provide, nor does it provide, any legal advice.   By viewing this answer you understand and expressly agree that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the attorney who authored the answer.  Should you need legal advice, please contact a licensed attorney who practices in this area.  Readers of this answer and the information contained herein should not act upon any information contained in this answer without seeking legal counsel.

You can but it will not be enough

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

There is 3 in our household including my stepson. I gross 24 k last year and my wife gross 9k , we have 14 k in our joint account. Wouldn't that be sufficient, if we file I-864 and I-864A on his behalf?

Tax law topics