Skip to main content

Affadavit of Support I-864 and I-864A

Seattle, WA |

I am a U.S. citizen, originally from Bulgaria. My petition for an immigrant visa for my only son, in Bulgaria (over 21, unmarried) was approved by INS in 2005 and transfered to NVC. It was kept there for more than 3 years. I was contacted recently for the processing fee (which I already sent) and now they sent me a notification to download the I-864 form (Afadavit of Support). I am not sure that my income will be enough and I want to use a co-sponser, my fiance with whom I have been living together, in his house, for the last three years. Can we use form I-864A for this purpose? Or which other form can we use instead? My fiance and I intend to get married soon but I have to complete the Affadavit of Support for my son as soon as possible, so that his other documents are not being delayed. Is my fiance eligible to become a co-sponsor for my son on the Affadavit of Support?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Any US citizen or legal permanent resident, living in the US, may become a financial co-sponsor if that person has enough financial resources.

You likely should review the instructions for the Form I-864 and Form I0864A. The forms and instructions are available for free at the government's website: .

You likely will find that your fiance is not a "household member" as defined by the immigration regulations.

To reduce the chance of a delay to your petition because of an incorrect filing, you should review the instructions carefully or consult an attorney.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer