Advice on Illinois Secretary of State hearings for driver's license suspension for minor in possession of alcohol charge.

Chicago, IL |

Convicted of minor in possession of alcohol in Michigan (MI). Illinois (IL) secretary of state (SOS) suspended driver's license. I have a right to a hearing, but unsure whether to choose formal hearing or informal hearing.

With a formal hearing I can contest the suspension--(1) MI charged only possession, while IL suspended as if possession in motor vehicle; so these two statues aren't parallel. But its still true. Further, (2) IL cited as authority a code section that is minor driving with open container. I was a non-driving passenger on a boat. So I am not sure whether the SOS will care since I was on a motor vehicle, but wasn't cited for it. But I can alternatively ask for a restricted driving permit.

In a informal hearing, I can only try to get a restrict driving permit.

1. Good observations overall. Let me pont out that it's possible that you will receive an amended order citing the correct authority section. If you don't I am sure they will let the SOS amend it at the hearing. The bigger point is, you were under 21. You had alcohol. You therefore violated a local ordinance that prohibits such possesion., regardless of whether you are intoxicated and or were driving. That's enough to suspend, under 6-206(a)(38) for a conviction or (a)(43) for supervision.
    I would opt for informal. You will need an Investigative Drug and Alcohol evaluation. And you need to tell them that you quit drinking and won't drink again until 21. Because I am SURE that's true, right?

2. I agree with the excellent analysis by Counsel Harvatin.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com

DUI topics