Advice on I-94 and status.

Asked over 1 year ago - Natick, MA

I entered U . S on 1 visa , my I - 94 was marked S . After completing the MS program , when I applied for HOB , I got the I - 797 approval without the I - 94 . At that time , I did not realize the approval did not have I - 94 number and my attorney did not mention anything about it . I stayed in the US for about a year and a half assuming that I was in - status because my HOB was approved . I left to India and got my visa stamping done . Now I have a valid I - 94 in my passport . Does this mean I was out of status between the time I got my I - 797 approved and the time I left for India ? ? Now that I am back in the U . S what can I do to fix it if I was out - of - status .

correction - entered US on F1 visa, first I-94 marked as DS

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

6

Answered . I wouldn't worry. From your recounting the facts it seems that you were in valid status at all times.

In any event, your last entry and lawful admission on H-1B status "cured" any periods of "unlawful presence" or lapses you might have had. I believe you've had none since you started working fr the petitioning employer as soon as the H-1b was approved.

2. Stephen D. Berman

5

Answered . If you were granted a change of status and did not overstay, then you were not out of status.

3. Christian Schmidt

4

Answered . Hard to say without seeing the documentation. It appears that your employer did not request a change of status if you received an H-1B approval without a replacement I-94. This would mean that you did not maintain your status. On the other hand, you were granted an H-1B visa and allowed to reenter. You are now in status but may have been out of status during your prior stay. However, your admission as a student prevented you from accruing unlawful presence.

4. David B Pittman

Pro

3

Answered . Sounds like this is not a worry and you did not do anything to jeopardize your situation