Advantages to international adoption?

Asked about 2 years ago - Miami, FL

I was wondering if there were any advantages to adopting a child internationally? Are some countries easier to adopt from then others? Or does the US not care which country you adopt from?

1. Paul Joseph Consbruck

3

Answered . Over the past 10 years, over 20,000 children have been adopted by U.S. citizens each year, so this is a viable option; however, each country has specific requirements for adoption. Our law firm has helped families in Florida facilitate adoptions from 28 different countries. Your best starting point is to visit: http://adoption.state.gov You can look at the different country requirements on this government website. Your best approach is to talk with an adoption agency that is licensed to operate in the foreign country, and has a track record of successful adoptions. Many of these agencies are also licensed in the United States, or work with agencies licensed in the United States. Any of these licensed adoption agencies are able to give you an overview of the process.

2. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

2

Answered . Are you an actual person with an real legal problem or are you just wondering? It all depends on what your preference is. I would strongly prefer not to adopt from any other country. Far too many things can go wrong, and things go wrong here too.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239
  3. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

2

Answered . There is an advantage to every adoption because you are becoming a parent to a child in need. I am sure some countries are easier to adopt from than others, but there are also advantages and disadvantages to many as well. You should consult an experienced adoption attorney when the time comes for you to decide on this path.

4. Madonna M Finney

1

Answered . I believe you need an experienced adoption professional to adopt, either way. Serious issues can arise when you use inexperienced adoption providers. The American Academy of Adoption Attorneys is a good resource. Www.adoptionattorneys.org

Some people turn to International because they believe they can't adopt in the US. That often not true.

Some people want to "help" a child. I would suggest we have children waiting in Foster Care who need help as well.

All the best,

Madonna M. Finney
    Board Certified Adoption Lawyer
    Tallahassee, FL

5. Paritosh Bhupesh Sheth

1

Answered . There are several advantages to International adoption especially if you are dealing with a legitimate agency. The country of the child is also a very important factor. You need to start your research with www.uscis.gov and the Department of State website. Also research Children of the World agency