Advance Medical Directives, extend to ending of life by medical authorities

Asked almost 2 years ago - Bremerton, WA

if a person becomes alzheimers or combative dementia patient in future???

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In Washington, the Advanced Directive outlines the wishes for healthcare that people do an do not wish to receive. To appoint someone to make healthcare decisions on another person's behalf, a durable power of attorney for healthcare is necessary.

    It sounds, from your question, that you are asking about decisions regarding the end of someone's life. If, in a healthcare directive, someone has indicated that he or she does not want to have life artificially prolonged, those wishes should be respected.

    If you, or a healthcare provider, has questions about how best to follow the wishes of a loved one's Advanced Directive, it might behoove you to get the advice of an attorney.

    This posting is for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney-client... more
  2. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . An advance medical directive must be executed while an individual has capacity to express wishes regarding health care. Rules vary by state but typically the directive can appoint someone to make medical decisions or state end of life wishes if capacity is lost.

    Lawrence Friedman, Bridgewater, NJ. Certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the ABA approved National Elder Law Foundation, former Chair NJ State Bar Association Elder and Disabilities Law Section, Member Board of Consultors of NJSBA Real Property, Trusts & Estates Law Section, Vice Chair Special Needs Law Section of National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, and Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Taxation from N.Y.U. School of Law. Visit for articles and Q&A on elder law, special needs, wills, trusts, estates, and tax. Visit and subscribe for free timely updates to be delivered to your inbox. Information on both Avvo and does not constitute legal advice, as it is general in nature and may not apply to your situation or be subject to important changes. No attorney client relationship exists unless set forth in written engagement terms.

    Lawrence Friedman, Bridgewater, NJ. Certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the ABA approved National Elder Law... more
  3. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It looks like you have asked this question before. In the last posting you said that you couldn't afford an attorney. Contact Legal Aid Services for the personalized free advice you need. They generally can help.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now