Adult who was sentence as a youthful offender. Is the max 6 years ?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Port Richey, FL

I was sentence to 6 years probation under the youthful offender act, I may violate soon for not completing my class in time. Is the max 6 years ? I heard from other attorneys that it is. I have never been to boot camp, I just sat in jail for over 32 months fighting my charge then the State was willing to give me youthful offender, I Plead out as a youthful offender then I was released.

1. Seda Aktas

3

Answered . Complete your class if you still can, as all bets may be off if you violate your youthful offender sentence, which can leave you looking at the maximum sentence allowed to the underlying charges you pled to, not to mention adjudication if it was initially withheld. Be sure to consult a knowledgeable local attorney.

2. Dana M Moss

3

Answered . Florida Statute 958.14: Violation of probation or community control program.

A violation or alleged violation of probation or the terms of a community control program shall subject the youthful offender to the provisions of s. 948.06. However, no youthful offender shall be committed to the custody of the department for a substantive violation for a period longer than the maximum sentence for the offense for which he or she was found guilty, with credit for time served while incarcerated, or for a technical or nonsubstantive violation for a period longer than 6 years or for a period longer than the maximum sentence for the offense for which he or she was found guilty, whichever is less, with credit for time served while incarcerated.

3. Amber Hill

Pro

1

Answered . The maximum is 6 years, but as the other attorneys pointed out, this will no longer be applied if your YO sentence is revoked.