Adult neighbor verbally threatens my children, who should be contacted? Police say nothing can be done unless she get physical

Asked about 5 years ago - Rocky Point, NY

My next door neighbor verbally threatens my children, (ex: I'm going to get you when you least expect it) shoots them with water and curses at them when they walk past her house to go to a friends or the bus stop. I contacted the police & was told that unless she physically touches them they can not do anything about it. My children & other neighborhood children are affraid to walk past her house. Can anything be done? Who would I contact for help with this.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Keep vigilant. Make sure you keep records. Keep making reports. You have to be proactive to work toward getting a restraining order.

    Meanwhile, find a lawyer.

    Use the written documentation you have is a good place to begin. Contact a local lawyer - many may give you a free consultation for an hour - to discuss your specifics. Far too many variables exist in the short post you wrote for any further observation by me. Many New York attorneys have information posted here on Avvo.

    You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose A Lawyer For You"

    You might find my Legal Guide helpful " What Do I Tell My Lawyer"

    No one can know what the record is in the case because online we cannot see your documents. You need a lawyer. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

    Good luck to you.

    NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney with whom you have established an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,663 answers this week

2,850 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,663 answers this week

2,850 attorneys answering