Adult Adoption and US Immigration

Asked about 6 years ago - Jamaica, NY

My Godmother is a US citizen who is terminally ill, is it possible that she can adopt me (I am married) as her son to care for her and her property. I do not live in the US but have travelled there several times with a B1 (tourist) visa. If the adoptions goes through, will I be afforded the opportunity of having a green card - permanent residence?

1. Thuong-Tri Nguyen

1

3

Answered . Whether you as an adult can be adopted depends on the law of the place where the adoption takes place.

Even if you can be legally adopted, the adoption would not be of any use to you for immigration purposes as under immigration laws, among other requirements, the adoption must have occurred before the age of 16 for you.

Godmother is not a statutory relationship entitling immigration benefits.

There may be other ways to accomplish your goals. You may want to review your facts and options with an attorney.