Adoption of a step child

Las Vegas, NV |
Filed under: Child adoption

I am the step dad to a 12 year old girl. She wants me to adopt her so does my wife and I do too. Her father terminated his parental rights when she was born. I don't know how to proceed from here? What are next steps to adopt her?

1. Contact an avvo family law attorney in Las Vegas

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.

2. Contact an avvo family law attorney in Las Vegas

3. A parent cannot voluntarily terminate parental rights so I am not sure the birth father's rights are legally terminated. But if he has been out of the picture for years, then his rights may be legally terminated with the appropriate process. You need to talk to an attorney who does specialize in this aspect of family law,

4. The process begins with your wife filing a petition to terminate the biological father's rights. Nevada does not allow a parent to voluntarily terminate his/her own rights. It sounds like the biological father will not fight you on this termination, which is good news for you and your wife, as it may expedite the adoption process. Once the parental rights have been terminated per Nevada standards, you may then proceed with the process of petitioning for the adoption. You will have to attend a hearing at the end of this process. The process can be quite overwhelming, so I do recommend that you hire an attorney to guide you through it. Best of luck to your family!

I am licensed in Nevada. The above information should be construed as legal recommendations only and not legal advice.

Child adoption topics