Skip to main content

Adoption attorney fees questions????

Acworth, GA |

Husband wants to adopt my 2 daughters. 1 biological father is deceased and I have obtained a notarized relinquishment of parental rights from my ex-husband. I just need the stepparent adoption documents typed up and filed. What is the average price range for this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


It is impossible to give you an accurate estimate over the internet without more facts, including where the adoption would need to be filed, what would be required to terminate the rights of the deceased father, whether the surrender of rights signed by the ex husband is sufficient, etc. The best way to find out how much this would cost would be to call and set an appointment, or even do a phone consultation with one of the attorneys on this site. They can then ask you specific questions and give you a good figure. These types of case are very technical, and there are different costs involved depending on whether someone has to be served, whether this can be filed as one case or two separate cases, etc.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP 53 W. Candler St. Or 718 Oak St. Winder, Ga. 30680 Gainesville, Georgia (770) 307-4899 (770) 538-0555 serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation



The deceased father had no rights, it would be filed in Cobb County, and the release form is from the site, but thank you for your prompt response. I was just looking for a ballpark figure.

Robert M. Gardner Jr.

Robert M. Gardner Jr.


Even with the father being deceased, some Judges may want his parents or next of kin served just to give some kind of notice. They would not have the right to contest it, but some Judges are particular that way. If you used the Surrender of Rights/Final Release for Adoption form, as well as the Acknowledgement that goes with this, there should be a provision which states that an adoption petition would need to be filed within a specific period of time. If that time has not passed, and the form is still valid, you are probably looking at around $2,500.00 for everything other than a home evaluation. If the Judge requires a home evaluation (which many do not require in stepparent cases), you are probably looking at $500 to $1000 more depending on the cost. These are often done by the local DFCS office, and you can call them to get an estimate on what they charge for these.


I agree with my colleague that there is really no known average price for what you are asking and that more information about your case is needed before it can be determined exactly what needs to be done to complete the step-parent adoption. Under Georgia law, you would usually need to have the legal father sign a surrender and an acknowledgement of surrender of rights in front of a notary. You would also need an attorney to explain the rights to the legal father and sign an affidavit of representation. I suggest that you contact an attorney with adoption law experience in Georgia to review the notarized reliquishment that you have and determine if that would be sufficient under Georgia Law. You would also need an attorney to review and explain to you other Georgia requirements such as criminal history checks, venue requirements, necessary documents to gather, etc.

If you would like to discuss this further, my office has experience in this type of case and would be glad to set up an appointment for you. You can call us at (770) 642-6075. Or you can find a list of other experienced Georgia licensed adoption attorneys:

Best of luck!

I am licensed to practice solely in Georgia, and do not intend to give legal advice or create a lawyer/client relationship. Please consult an attorney in your state for detailed advice on your legal question.


The price can vary depending on the experience and proficiency of the attorney, jurisdiction, and particular circumstances of each individual case. However, since it does not appear to be contested, an attorney may be able to quote you a flat fee. As even uncontested adoptions can be very document-intensive and comply with very specific statutory requirements, I recommend that you get some quotes from local attorneys rather than attempting to do this on your own.


You need a lot more than "typing and filing papers." You'll have at least one hearing. With the one father deceased, you may have to contend with grandparents. And a notarized "relinquishment" is NOT what you need - there are several specific documents that must be done as part of the case for a father to surrender rights properly (and it has to be done in the correct time frame as well).

Depending on your county, you may also need a home study.

Adoption is highly technical, and the details affect fees, and any attorney will need far more details, especially with two different biological fathers. To quote fees to you, I'd need for you to call and discuss the details (404-768-3509).

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


I agree with the prior responses, that is, an adoption is not merely a fill in the blank endeavor. Very specific statutory provisions must be followed or the adoption cannot proceed. As the fee, many attorneys will offer flat fee quotes once they have conducted the initial consultation with you.

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer