Adoption attorney fees questions????

Asked over 1 year ago - Acworth, GA

Husband wants to adopt my 2 daughters. 1 biological father is deceased and I have obtained a notarized relinquishment of parental rights from my ex-husband. I just need the stepparent adoption documents typed up and filed. What is the average price range for this?

1. Robert M. Gardner Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . It is impossible to give you an accurate estimate over the internet without more facts, including where the adoption would need to be filed, what would be required to terminate the rights of the deceased father, whether the surrender of rights signed by the ex husband is sufficient, etc. The best way to find out how much this would cost would be to call and set an appointment, or even do a phone consultation with one of the attorneys on this site. They can then ask you specific questions and give you a good figure. These types of case are very technical, and there are different costs involved depending on whether someone has to be served, whether this can be filed as one case or two separate cases, etc.

2. Jessica Lynne Gordon

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague that there is really no known average price for what you are asking and that more information about your case is needed before it can be determined exactly what needs to be done to complete the step-parent adoption. Under Georgia law, you would usually need to have the legal father sign a surrender and an acknowledgement of surrender of rights in front of a notary. You would also need an attorney to explain the rights to the legal father and sign an affidavit of representation. I suggest that you contact an attorney with adoption law experience in Georgia to review the notarized reliquishment that you have and determine if that would be sufficient under Georgia Law. You would also need an attorney to review and explain to you other Georgia requirements such as criminal history checks, venue requirements, necessary documents to gather, etc.

If you would like to discuss this further, my office has experience in this type of case and would be glad to set up an appointment for you. You can call us at (770) 642-6075. Or you can find a list of other experienced Georgia licensed adoption attorneys: www.gacal.org

Best of luck!

3. Jonathan Victor Dunn

1

Answered . The price can vary depending on the experience and proficiency of the attorney, jurisdiction, and particular circumstances of each individual case. However, since it does not appear to be contested, an attorney may be able to quote you a flat fee. As even uncontested adoptions can be very document-intensive and comply with very specific statutory requirements, I recommend that you get some quotes from local attorneys rather than attempting to do this on your own.

4. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

1

Answered . You need a lot more than "typing and filing papers." You'll have at least one hearing. With the one father deceased, you may have to contend with grandparents. And a notarized "relinquishment" is NOT what you need - there are several specific documents that must be done as part of the case for a father to surrender rights properly (and it has to be done in the correct time frame as well).

Depending on your county, you may also need a home study.

Adoption is highly technical, and the details affect fees, and any attorney will need far more details, especially with two different biological fathers. To quote fees to you, I'd need for you to call and discuss the details (404-768-3509).

5. William Robert Pike

Pro

Answered . I agree with the prior responses, that is, an adoption is not merely a fill in the blank endeavor. Very specific statutory provisions must be followed or the adoption cannot proceed. As the fee, many attorneys will offer flat fee quotes once they have conducted the initial consultation with you.