Admitted Surety Insurer versus Undertaking by Personal Sureties

Asked over 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

My writ of attachment order was contingent upon obtaining a bond for 10k. My understanding is that if I use the judicial AT-160 form, Undertaking by Personal Sureties, it requires TWO, but if I use the admitted surety insurer, I only need ONE. Is this correct?

Also, if I go with the admitted surety insurer, will they provide the form or is there another judicial form similar to AT-160? Stanley Mosk Attorneys Please

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Richard Scott Lysle

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Yes. You can use either a bonding company or two personal guarantors. If you want to use guarantors, you must show that each guarantor has the financial resources to qualify. If you use a bonding company, they will do all of the paperwork. The bond premium will be good for one year, and you will be billed for annual renewals until the surety is released. If you are attempting to represent yourself, and if the other side has competent counsel, you can expect a motion questioning the financial resources of any personal guarantor.

  2. Adam Martin Zolonz


    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should re-post this question under Civil Attorneys. This is not a criminal law question. Best of luck

  3. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Correct.

    Normally, an admitted surety will have the AT-160 form and will prepare it for you.

    Frank W. Chen is licensed to practice law in the State of California only. The information presented here is... more

Related Topics

Business debt

Business debt has different implications depending on how the business is structured. In some cases, you may be personally liable.


There are different types of debt, but all involve one person (the debtor) owing money to another (the creditor). Terms of repayment are governed by a contract.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,739 answers this week

2,991 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,739 answers this week

2,991 attorneys answering