Adjustment of Status Interview, Visa Availability

West Palm Beach, FL |

ORIGINAL POST: I just came from my adjustment of status interview. I applied under 245i. My brother had petitioned us on April 17, 2001. I overstayed my visa from 1988. I didn't get approved, the officer said he sent in a visa availability request. What does this mean? Should I be concerned?

NEW QUESTION: You guys said that this is just a process that the officer has to do before the actual visa is issued. How long do you guys believe it will take for our case to be approved? When the visa is issued does that mean that the Green Card will go into production? The officer had said that it could be issued today, is that really a possibility?

Assuming a visa number is immediately available it is typically issued by the Visa Office the same day it is requested. Your card will not go into production until the officer who adjudicated your application approves it. Generally speaking, officers are not supposed to request a visa number until they are ready to approve a case.

While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Call +1-561-478-5353 to schedule a consultation with Mr. Devore.

As we do not know exactly what the officer meant, it is not possible to answer your questions.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

No, it means nothing of the sort. Until that very officer and his or her supervisor actually approves the petition, no production will happen. Before production, you will get a welcome letter congratulating you on the admission into the family of LPRs.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Dear Writer, I am guessing that the officer meant that due to your 4th preference petition (for sibling of a USC), the visa is not available. For most of the countries, the cut off date is currently May 2001 (just became available), while Mexico and Philippines are even more backlogged. So we have to determine whether you filed your I-485 timely while the priority date was current and then it subsequently retrogressed and has not become available again, or whether you filed prematurely. 245(i) only helps with your illegal entry or unlawful status, not with the priority date. Please have your case reviewed by an experienced immigration attorney right away. Best regards.