Adjustment of Status Interview (marriage based) - Does USCIS ask about past divorces? Adjusting status form TN visa

Asked 5 months ago - Chicago, IL

I have been divorced twice. #1 was 10 years ago and #2 was last year. The problem is that I dont remember much about the #1 divorce because I was only 18 at the time and the marriage lasted for just few months (it was not in U.S. - it was in Canada). I dont even remember the DOB of that spouse because it's been SO long. I cannot get his DOB from the courthouse because they dont give out personal info like that in Canada, plus I cannot leave U.S. at the moment while AOS is processing.

I'm just curious to know if USCIS will ask about details of former spouse #1? What if I dont have all the answers? On my G325A, I wrote "Not known" in the DOB field for former spouse #1. FYI - I've never been sponsored to immigrate to U.S. by any of my former spouses. This is the first time.

1. Stephen D. Berman

1

Best Answer

Answered . They can ask you anything they wish to ask.

2. Dhenu Mitesh Savla

Pro

1

Answered . Yes of course they may certainly ask about previous relationships. Your series of questions after the submission are making me wonder if you had adequate knowledge or assistance in the preparation of the application. One mistake many make is thinking that this is "just forms." These forms are the first step. Other more serious issues could be lurking unaddressed.

Do yourself a favor. Call an attorney to see if you may need an attorney to accompany you to the interview.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
    SwagatUSA, LLC

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.
  3. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

1

Answered . It is always best not to leave any applicable information on these types of forms vague or blank, if you are required to answer the query. You'd be better off to try to track down a common friend, an old letter or even your ex himself to learn the exact date. If that is impossible, then you'd be better off providing a guess and meanwhile finding out what you can and explain more at the interview. And yes, they could certainly ask about your former spouses, since they will want to make sure you are marrying for the purposes of immigration fraud.