Adjustment of Status/Immigration/ Sponsor

Asked 9 months ago - Seattle, WA

My wife will be my sponsor. Her GROSS income was $29,000 last year but her net only $8,000. Does she qualify by any chance? I do not find on the form any part that says GROSS income and I am really worried now. I have the option of using my mother in law who lives with us and has NO depend but she is retired and her GROSS income was $17,000 last year. Maybe both of them combined will help? What if the Immigration denies after all? Do I get a second chance to try to find another person who lives close by and meet the $19,000 required? Thanks. I am really in a hurry!

1. Barbara A Marcouiller

Pro

8

Answered . Get an attorney to sit down with you and go through it, because there are options to include the income of certain people residing with you, and there are other options as well. If you don't want an attorney to do the whole case, you could benefit by just having a meeting to review the affidavit of support issues with you.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

9

Answered . READ the instructions to I-864. Adjusted gross income is used for calculations not net. The explanation as to what constituted AGI you will find in the instructions.

3. Aggie Rachel Hoffman

4

Answered . You use the gross, not net, figure on the I-864. $29,000 for a household of 2 is more than adequate.

4. Stephen D. Berman

3

Answered . The net income is what matters, but see a lawyer, it may depend if she filed a 1040 or 1040EZ.