Adjustment of Status/Immigration/ Sponsor

Asked 9 months ago - Seattle, WA

My wife will be my sponsor. Her GROSS income was $29,000 last year but her net only $8,000. Does she qualify by any chance? I do not find on the form any part that says GROSS income and I am really worried now. I have the option of using my mother in law who lives with us and has NO depend but she is retired and her GROSS income was $17,000 last year. Maybe both of them combined will help? What if the Immigration denies after all? Do I get a second chance to try to find another person who lives close by and meet the $19,000 required? Thanks. I am really in a hurry!

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Barbara A Marcouiller


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Get an attorney to sit down with you and go through it, because there are options to include the income of certain people residing with you, and there are other options as well. If you don't want an attorney to do the whole case, you could benefit by just having a meeting to review the affidavit of support issues with you.

    This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case.... more
  2. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . READ the instructions to I-864. Adjusted gross income is used for calculations not net. The explanation as to what constituted AGI you will find in the instructions.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more
  3. Aggie Rachel Hoffman

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You use the gross, not net, figure on the I-864. $29,000 for a household of 2 is more than adequate.

    The herein content is for general informational purposes only, and may be predicated on incomplete facts. It... more
  4. Stephen D. Berman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The net income is what matters, but see a lawyer, it may depend if she filed a 1040 or 1040EZ.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Adjustment of status

When a person in the United States changes his or her immigration status to permanent resident, this is called "adjustment of status."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,565 answers this week

3,143 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,565 answers this week

3,143 attorneys answering