Adjustment of Status/Immigration/ Sponsor

Seattle, WA |

My wife will be my sponsor. Her GROSS income was $29,000 last year but her net only $8,000. Does she qualify by any chance? I do not find on the form any part that says GROSS income and I am really worried now. I have the option of using my mother in law who lives with us and has NO depend but she is retired and her GROSS income was $17,000 last year. Maybe both of them combined will help? What if the Immigration denies after all? Do I get a second chance to try to find another person who lives close by and meet the $19,000 required? Thanks. I am really in a hurry!

READ the instructions to I-864. Adjusted gross income is used for calculations not net. The explanation as to what constituted AGI you will find in the instructions.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Get an attorney to sit down with you and go through it, because there are options to include the income of certain people residing with you, and there are other options as well. If you don't want an attorney to do the whole case, you could benefit by just having a meeting to review the affidavit of support issues with you.

This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case. This reply does not create an attorney/client relationship.

The net income is what matters, but see a lawyer, it may depend if she filed a 1040 or 1040EZ.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Thanks. She is a self employee so she has expenses and the net was only $8,000 as I mentioned above. Should I get a co sponsor then?

You use the gross, not net, figure on the I-864. $29,000 for a household of 2 is more than adequate.

The herein content is for general informational purposes only, and may be predicated on incomplete facts. It should not be relied upon in making legal decisions or assessing your legal rights or risks. Neither does the herein reply create an attorney-client relationship.

Thanks but she is a self employee so she had expenses and that is why her net was only $8,000. Does the Immigration will see her gross $ 29,000 or the $8,000 ? maybe you thought she was working for somebody else? There is a huge difference, right?