Adjustment of Status/ Immigration/ Sponsor

Asked 10 months ago - Seattle, WA

My wife will be my Sponsor for the I-485. Her gross income was about $30,000 dollar/ year but only $8,000 dollars after expenses. I know that will NOT be enough for the Immigration. So what should I do? If I have my wife's mom to be a co sponsor, can her and my wife's income be combined to meet the required income amount which is 125 % of the poverty rate ( which is about $19,000 income after taxes) ? Thanks!

1. Diego P. Gavilanes

Pro

2

1

Answered . Depending on the number of dependents your wife has, your wife's gross yearly income may still be enough under the applicable guidelines. Look at on I864P to make sure. Better yet, consult with an experienced immigration lawyer so no costly mistakes are made.

2. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

2

1

Answered . Yes you can have your wife 's mother be a co-sponsor. Applying for a green card is a complex process and it is best to hire an immigration attorney to assist you with the process.

3. Husna F. Alikhan

2

1

Answered . Joint sponsors are allowed for meeting income guidelines. The I864P has current income figures based on the number of individuals in the sponsor's family and may be found at www.uscis.gov. You really should utilize an experienced immigration attorney to avoid costly mistakes.

4. Lea Sullivan McDermid

2

1

Answered . Your wife's income can only be combined with her mother's income if her mother lives with her. If they do not live together, then your mother-in-law must meet the 125% income guidelines depending on how many people are in her household (herself, you, plus any spouses, minor children, dependents on tax returns, and anyone for whom she may have previously filed an affidavit of support). Affidavits of support are complicated, especially when a joint sponsor is needed. Assets may be used as well to make up for a lack of income, but use of assets is complicated.

5. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

1

1

6. Nelson Antonio Madrid

1

1

Answered . Yes, this should not be an issue. Best of luck!