ACWIA fee for H1-B extensions

Asked about 3 years ago - Chicago, IL

I am currently in my 6th year of H1-B. I started working for my current company on H1-b work visa in January 2010. As my 6 year visa period expires in September 2012, I need to apply for a H1-b extension (based on my days outside US) to capture some time before I can have a full 365 days from my PERM application for further extensions

My employer had paid the $1500 ACWIA fee when they filed for my H1-b the first time. Do they have to pay the $1500 ACWIA fee again for externsions?

In I-129 instructions, it specifies that one of the exemptions for paying the ACWIA fee is "second or subsequent extension...". Would my case be considered a subsequent or second extension?

1. Kathleen M. Angustia

Answered . By law, employers must pay the ACWIA Fee to the Department of Homeland Security for the initial petition and for the first extension the employer files on behalf of a particular employee.

2. Pablo Husayn Nossa

Answered . I believe you answered your own question.

3. Christian Schmidt

Answered . Your employer must pay the fee again if this is the second petition (=first extension). If he files the thrid petition (=second extension), he does not have to pay.

4. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . Your employer needs to pay it for the initial petition and for the first extension.

Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and handle the matter.