ACD crossing into Canada

Asked over 1 year ago - Newark, NY

I was arrested back in 2010 on a criminal possession of a weapon 4th degree I was granted an ACD and fullfilled the requirements of the ACD will I have any trouble getting into Canada to go up there and work? I ask this because my employer does not know that I have been arrested and in talking to my lawyer he wasn't sure about it. But he also said that with the ACD that my arrest basically didn't happen I was just curious if anything will show up stating that I have been arrested in the past

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If the ACD period has not expired it could be a problem. I've had clients denied entry to Canada with an open case.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases.... more
  2. Marco Caviglia


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . An open case (i.e. waiting for the ACD to ripen into a dismissal) will cause you entry problems into Canada. A dismissed case, which is what you are stating is your situation, should not. However, you should contact the Canadian authoriites for a definitive answer.

    If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for... more
  3. John J. Carney


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Canada is a very liberal country where pot is ignored, prostitution is ignored, and the police are polite and honest, but they do not let people with open cases, misdemeanors, or felonies into the country without a Minister's waiver. Retain a good lawyer to get a waiver. It is a $350 application and I have done it regularly for 30 years.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now