Accused of violating Real Estate Law, Part 1 of Division 4 of the 26 California Business and Professions Code

Asked about 1 year ago - Westminster, CA

What is a valid defense? At the time of the violation, my licensed had expired. I also did not know of any "fraud" or accusation of wrongdoing until a year later, after my license was no longer expired. Is there a defense? I think the agency is trying to fine me or take away my real estate license. Case with criminal court has also been dismissed, plea reversed to "non guilty". Could the case with the bureau of real estate get dismissed? Where would I go get more details? No attorney, so far, seems to know enough about procedures with the BRE to give me an answer.

The correct citation is "Real Estate Law, Part 1 of Division 4 of the California Business and Professions Code". I am facing a formal "Accusation" and have recently been misguided by another attorney who claimed to know how to do this.

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

4

1

Answered . Well, I know a great deal about the procedures and authority of BRE. When I was a Administrative Law Judge I presided over a large number of BRE cases (at that time, BRE was the Dept of RE, but the difference is immaterial here). Even with years of experience in BRE matters procedures, I am having trouble understanding your question. In fact, I cannot make sense of your citation: "26."

There are two likely possibilities:

1. BRE is investigating you and has demanded that you provide specific responsive information and records necessary to the licensing agency for the investigation, or

2. BRE is formally accusing you of violations of the statutes, rules and regs applicable to your license, and you must respond to the Accusation that has been filed and served. In that event, BRE is seeking revocation, suspension, citation, or other penalty based on the allegations of misconduct. You have the right to challenge the allegations against you and the proposed penalty. You will need counsel to navigate through the enforcement and appeal process.

No one here can say whether you have sound defenses because we do not have even a hint of the factual basis for BRE's actions against you. You need to consult with a skilled and experienced attorney who practices professional licensing law to determine the extent and seriousness of BRE's allegations and the merit and strength of any factual or legal defenses available to you.

It is great that a related criminal case has been dismissed, but that will not necessarily resolve BRE's allegations. California law allows State licensing agencies to enforce against licensees based on "bad acts" of unprofessional or unethical conduct even where there is no arrest, prosecution or conviction.

By specific provisions of California law, BRE has authority to both investigate and bring enforcement proceedings even against a licensee whose license has lapsed or expired.

These principles of general administrative law are all that I can reliably offer here in the absence of any description of the nature of BRE's position. I strongly urge that you promptly consult with a skilled licensing law attorney. If you have been served with an Accusation, you have a very narrow window of time in which to serve your Notice of Defense -- failure to meet the deadline will cause a forfeiture of your rights to challenge BRE's accusations. If you are instead facing a BRE investigation, failure to make prompt and full responses can serve as a separate and additional basis for a formal Cause for Discipline by BRE. I all events, you need to be responding appropriately and through legal counsel.

Good luck to you.

2. Frederick Prescott Hayes

2

Answered . Your question is not clear. You should be able to reference a specific Business and Professions Code section, etc. However, you are attempting to save your ability to earn an income. It is clear that you would be well served by privately consulting an attorney experienced in this area of law. Posting details of a criminal or administrative proceeding currently under way is probably not wise. You need an attorney, so do not be satisfied with general advice on the internet. Consult attorney McCall or another attorney with appropriate experience in this area.

3. Stephen Ross Cohen

Answered . Call Christine and see her. You are playing with a stick of dynamite in your hand.