Accused of shoplifting in Century 21, no police or finger print involved

Asked about 1 year ago - Flushing, NY

I tried to get an item discounted illegally in Century 21 in NY.
The item was not on sale but I took off a sale sticker from the other item and put the sticker on the item I wanted to have.
They found it out and took me in a room and got my information (name/address/social security number, etc). They also took me a photo. They said that it will not affect anything but I will need to pay for some fine ticket.
I am a foreigner on OPT Visa. I am worried that it would affect me something when I re-enter U.S. later. Also, I am trying to have social work NY state license, have H1 visa, and work at a company. I am wondering if it would remain in my any record and affect those situations. Please help me out. Thank you

1. John M. Cromwell

Pro

3

Answered . If you were not arrested, it won't affect anything. If you get a letter demanding payment, don't pay it. You would be wise to invest in a consultation with an atttorney who knows about criminal defense, immigration, and licensing issues.

2. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

2

Answered . Consult with an immigration lawyer if you are arrested. If you are not arrested, then do nothing.

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . If you were not arrested then you do not and can not have a criminal record. You will receive letters and calls from Michael Ira Asen, Century 21's lawyer, seeking a civil demand of 5 times the value of the goods up to $500. I advise my clients not to pay because I've never seen him sue to collect. I write him a letter for my clients and he can no longer contact my clients. You got lucky you were not attested.