Accused of forging a check

I'm being accused of forging a check but I didn't. I got rear ended by someone who didn't have insurance so they wrote me a check for the damages and when I go to my bank to cash the check the bank says they can't cash it and then I find out its a stolen check and the cops think I did it. I have done nothing wrong. What can I do

Temple, GA -

John Arnold Steakley

John Arnold Steakley

Criminal Defense Attorney - Marietta, GA

The police and prosecutor will assume your story is bogus unless you have evidence to show that you really were in a car accident, such as the other driver's information, photos of the cars, photos of the damage, and the other driver's tag number. These are all things that the prosecutor will expect someone to have if they were in an accident.

Even if the other driver didn't have insurance, you should have. That means your own UM coverage would pay for the damage IF you called the police and made a report, but it doesn't sound like you did.

Without more evidence of a wreck, the prosecutor will assume you created this check yourself and cooked up the car wreck story as an explanation of where you got the check.

Sponsored Listing
Benjamin David Goldberg

Benjamin David Goldberg

Criminal Defense Attorney - Mableton, GA

If what you say is true, and you have documentation to back it up, an experienced lawyer can likely get this case dismissed. Hire a lawyer immediately.

Noah Howard Pines

Noah Howard Pines

Criminal Defense Attorney - Atlanta, GA

Hire a lawyer.

Alan James Brinkmeier

Alan James Brinkmeier

Lawsuit / Dispute Attorney - Chicago, IL

Hire an attorney