Accused of "indecent exposure" and as a first offense, what can I expect? pleaded not guilty but can I avoid a trial by guilty?

Asked about 1 year ago - Duvall, WA

While I was shopping for groceries I squeezed a bottle of what I supposed was a gel skin lotion. It turned out to be an oily substance instead. It was about to drip on the floor, so acting quickly I scanned around me to see if anyone was looking, then put my hand in my pants to wipe it off so as not to stain the outside of my clothing. I did not pull my pants down or expose my genitals. Someone did manage to see my actions and called the police. This is a first offense. Can I avoid jail time? Can you learn specifically what is the evidence against me beside witness reports, e.g. do they have a surveillance system? Can I apply for a pro bono lawyer inasmuch as I am retired on SS disability from Parkinson's disease with a fixed income barely able to pay my bills, but not below poverty level.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Adrian Martinez Madrone


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can and should apply for a court-appointed lawyer (a public defender) if you cannot afford to hire one privately. The impacts of a charge like this can be significant. You need legal advice to get you through it.

  2. James Donald Garrett

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You are entitled to have an attorney appointed to represent you if you cannot afford one. Contact the clerk's office to ask how to apply for the public defender's services.

    Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,723 answers this week

2,998 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,723 answers this week

2,998 attorneys answering