Accused of "indecent exposure" and as a first offense, what can I expect? pleaded not guilty but can I avoid a trial by guilty?

Duvall, WA |

While I was shopping for groceries I squeezed a bottle of what I supposed was a gel skin lotion. It turned out to be an oily substance instead. It was about to drip on the floor, so acting quickly I scanned around me to see if anyone was looking, then put my hand in my pants to wipe it off so as not to stain the outside of my clothing. I did not pull my pants down or expose my genitals. Someone did manage to see my actions and called the police. This is a first offense. Can I avoid jail time? Can you learn specifically what is the evidence against me beside witness reports, e.g. do they have a surveillance system? Can I apply for a pro bono lawyer inasmuch as I am retired on SS disability from Parkinson's disease with a fixed income barely able to pay my bills, but not below poverty level.

1. You are entitled to have an attorney appointed to represent you if you cannot afford one. Contact the clerk's office to ask how to apply for the public defender's services.

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

2. You can and should apply for a court-appointed lawyer (a public defender) if you cannot afford to hire one privately. The impacts of a charge like this can be significant. You need legal advice to get you through it.