Skip to main content

Accuired property via quick deed from mother 9 yrs. ago, now getting divorced. in this non maital property?

Chicago, IL |

wife wants 1/2 of this. property is under water regardless, owe more than it s worth.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


This is not marital property as marital funds were not used to acquire it. You may need to account for the marital funds used for taxes, insurance, and maintanence to reimburse the marital estate. These details should not be broadcast over the Internet.

This is a general answer and does not address the specifics of your individual case. To give the specific answer you need our firm needs you to come in for a consultation.


If you provided any marital contribution to the home which you received through a quitclaim deed from your mother, your wife could have an argument that she is entitled to a portion of the home. However, since the home is under water, what she is really asking for is half of the debt. If you do not have an attorney, you really ought to retain one to handle this and many other issues in your divorce.

Gary L. Schlesinger

Gary L. Schlesinger


there is no such thing as a quick deed nor a slow deed. it is a quit claim deed. the grantor quits, gives up, any claim the grantor had to the property. you are in over your head literally and figuratively. if the property is up side down, give it to her. let her pay the debt. if you insist that the property is yours alone, you get the whole debt. if marital, maybe you and she split the debt or both go bankrupt. go see a lawyer.



The property may be nonmarital, but she could be entitled to a portion of her contribution. But as pointed out, if the house is upside down she is really looking to share the debt.

It sounds as if neither of you have attorneys. You should remedy that lack as soon as possible.

If you found this Answer to be helpful, please mark it as such. Remember, however, this is only generalized commentary on your question. It is not to be taken as legal advice. Even "in person" interviews leave attorneys with plenty of questions – the Internet makes it crazy. Thank you Chuck Watson 217.544.6165


This will become a thorny issue if the two of you do not retain counsel who can draft a proper Marital Settlement Agreement. With real estate prices continuing to plummet, before long, this could be a costly post-judgment litigation over who is liable for debts connected with the property.

The author provides the preceding information as a service to the public. Author's response, as stated above, should not be considered legal advice. An initial attorney-client conference, based upon review of all relevant facts/documents, will be necessary to provide legal advice upon which the client should then rely.


Based upon the facts you outlined the short answer is give her the property and hire an attorney.

I am licensed in Illinois and Wisconsin only I can not give advise in any other state. Any responses posted on Avvo do not constitute a contract and no attorney client relationship is created. Any answers given are based only upon the information provided and are not to be considered legal advice.

Gary L. Schlesinger

Gary L. Schlesinger


in that order? or hire the lawyer first? which?

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer