Accounts hacked

Asked over 1 year ago - Philadelphia, PA

Hi so my facebook and yahoo email were hacked. All the hacker did was change my passwords no money bank account info was stolen. I have the ip address the hack is in Pa im in cali. My questions are will law enforcement track the ip address and arrested the hacker and what will they be charged with? Thank you for the

1. Amy Lavonne Wells

Pro

Answered . I'm sorry to hear you had to deal with this. Given both your email and Facebook were hacked by the same place, it sounds like this is someone who knows you, specifically.

You can always report the incident. No one is going to be able to tell what law enforcement will do with certainty. I can tell you in my experience this is not likely something law enforcement will invest the time and resource into. Given the volume of violent crimes and identity thefts resulting in high losses, among other things, that authorities have on their plate, I can see this getting a lot of attention. The only way you'll know is if your file a report.

I would suggest taking steps to safeguard your passwords and information to prevent further breaches. All the best to you.

2. Howard Robert Roitman

Pro

Answered . Contact a lawyer. You're going to need help getting your accounts back.

Just the act of hacking your account is criminal, there is no loss other than use of the account. If you can show how that has cost you civilly then you may be able to recover money. But other than that no you will not be able to file for recovery of lost services.