Accounts hacked

Philadelphia, PA |

Hi so my facebook and yahoo email were hacked. All the hacker did was change my passwords no money bank account info was stolen. I have the ip address the hack is in Pa im in cali. My questions are will law enforcement track the ip address and arrested the hacker and what will they be charged with? Thank you for the

1. I'm sorry to hear you had to deal with this. Given both your email and Facebook were hacked by the same place, it sounds like this is someone who knows you, specifically.

You can always report the incident. No one is going to be able to tell what law enforcement will do with certainty. I can tell you in my experience this is not likely something law enforcement will invest the time and resource into. Given the volume of violent crimes and identity thefts resulting in high losses, among other things, that authorities have on their plate, I can see this getting a lot of attention. The only way you'll know is if your file a report.

I would suggest taking steps to safeguard your passwords and information to prevent further breaches. All the best to you.

NOTE: This Answer does not constitute legal advice. Every case is fact specific. To render a legal opinion, an attorney must engage in a consultation with a prospective client and review any pertinent documents. This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship with Attorney Amy L. Wells or WELLS LAW OFFICE, INC.

2. Contact a lawyer. You're going to need help getting your accounts back.

Just the act of hacking your account is criminal, there is no loss other than use of the account. If you can show how that has cost you civilly then you may be able to recover money. But other than that no you will not be able to file for recovery of lost services.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.

Civil rights topics