According to my W2 I am paid under minimum wage. I am not a tipped employee.

Asked 5 months ago - Mount Pleasant, MI

Hello!

I am having a bit of an issue with my employer. I work at a nationally recognized apartment complex. As a benefit of my employment my rent is discounted and paid through working. I had received my W2 for 2013 and in the year 2013 I had made $97.35 and had worked 42.9 total hours which comes out to $2.26/hourly. It had came to my knowledge that the money earned towards my apartment had not been reported as earned income. Is this legal?

1. Nancy Katherine Chinonis

1

Answered . More information is necessary to properly answer your question. Contact an experienced employment attorney in your area.

2. Joshua Sanford

Pro

1

Answered . The answer depends upon whether the apartment that you live in is primarily for the benefit of your employer. It is a question that can't be answered without meeting with an experienced attorney in that area of the law.

Also, it depends upon how long you have been there/will be there, in terms of continued work.