According to my W2 I am paid under minimum wage. I am not a tipped employee.

Mount Pleasant, MI |

Hello!

I am having a bit of an issue with my employer. I work at a nationally recognized apartment complex. As a benefit of my employment my rent is discounted and paid through working. I had received my W2 for 2013 and in the year 2013 I had made $97.35 and had worked 42.9 total hours which comes out to $2.26/hourly. It had came to my knowledge that the money earned towards my apartment had not been reported as earned income. Is this legal?

1. The answer depends upon whether the apartment that you live in is primarily for the benefit of your employer. It is a question that can't be answered without meeting with an experienced attorney in that area of the law.

Also, it depends upon how long you have been there/will be there, in terms of continued work.

2. More information is necessary to properly answer your question. Contact an experienced employment attorney in your area.

This information and advice cannot be taken literally and should be used as only informational. The information provided here is not legal advice and should not be interpreted as such. This offer of free, general answers is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. If you need specific advice regarding your legal question, you should consult an attorney confidentially.