Skip to main content

According to LA law will child support end at the time of high school graduation?

Lafayette, LA |

My brother has an 18 year old daughter who will graduate in May. Upon her graduation will the child support end? Does he have to go to court to have the child support legally terminated?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Typically, the child support ends when the child reaches the age of majority (18 years of age). However, the mother or the child can petition to have the child support continue until the child reaches 19 years of age if the child is unmarried, enrolled in a secondary school full-time, and is dependent upon either parent. The termination at the age of majority is to happened automatically without any action by the paying parent.

    Information provided in this response is intended to be informational or educational only. It in no way establishes an attorney-client relationship. Because every case is factually dependent, it is not possible to accurately answer each question posed. If you have sincere legal concerns, it is highly recommended that you seek legal counsel in your area. Any response is not intended to create, nor does it create, a continuing duty to respond.

  2. If the child support amount was award per child then it terminates automatically. If the child support amount was awarded as one sum for multiple children then he'd have to go to court to have the amount modified.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create, an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response may change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Louisiana. Responses are based solely on Louisiana law unless stated otherwise

Child support topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics