Skip to main content

Accidentally checked on I-9 form back in November 2011 that I was a US Citizen.

Houston, TX |
Filed under: Immigration Green cards

thought i was a US CITIZEN all my whole life! because my gratherfather is a US Citizen and so is my stepdad also us citizen (married to my mom) i thought my mother was a us citizen but found out she was only a green card holder.I checked I was a us citizen on a I-9 form in November 2011 and I was 19 years old at the time i didnt know i was illegal till i was close to my 20th birthday. i came to texas when i was 3 years old in 1996. I qualify for 245(I). I know there isn't a waiver for this but do I qualify for this? a foreign national is not inadmissible under this provision if his or her parents are USCs; the person permanently resided in the United States before the age of 16; and the person reasonably believed at the time the misrepresentation was made that he or she was a USC

What should I do? Should I be worried? Any advice?

Attorney Answers 3


I wouldn't worry about this too much now. It's done. Make sure it does not happen again I the future and please stop placing self - incriminating information about yourself on the Internet. We are not the only ones to read this !

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

7 lawyers agree




What do you mean it's done?

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar


Means You already did what you did.


This could be very serious. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

16 lawyers agree


Consult face to face with an experienced immigration attorney.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics