Accident with property damage but no other cars involved and i had no car insurance what are the consequences in illinois

South Holland, IL |

I swerved to miss a car that stopped suddenly at a light that turned yellow and hit a light pole and had no insurance

You would have to pay for all damages out of your own pocket.

Free Consultation. 1-800-330-2274

Likely, if there was a police report made, you will have to pay the City for the damage to the light pole. Further, if you got a ticket for no insurance, you will have to go to court and then show proof of insurance and then make sure you maintain insurance for a certain amount of time.

I hope this helps-

The information provided on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship

If you had property damage coverage on your car, your insurance company should pay for your damage (and for any damage caused to the pole-since the local utility will likely want to get paid for its repair as well). As for "consequences", depending on the carrier, you may see a rate increase.

Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Any response given here is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

Marc Sean Hurd

Marc Sean Hurd

Sorry about that, I read through your question too quick, and thought I saw that you "had car insurance" as opposed to "had no car insurance." With that important piece of information added, generally speaking, you are responsible for any damage caused by your actions. The role of insurance is that they have agreed, for the payment of premiums, to pay up to your policy limits in your place. As I said, you may face liability from the utility company for the costs of repairing the damage to the light pole. Again, my apologies for shooting off my answer a bit too quick there...

Report to your insurer and it should be covered.

Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, Illinois
Phone/facsimile: 773-944-9737
stephen@hofflawyer.com
www.hofflawyer.com

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Stephen Laurence Hoffman

If you were not insured, see if anyone else in your household was insured.

You would have to cover the damages.

Free Consultation. 1-877-258-3083. Serving the Nation. Only 29% Fee Deducted.