Accident in a rental car with no auto insurance.

Columbus, OH |

I was driving a rental car and caused an accident. Pleaded no contest. I did not have auto insurance and only paid for the loss damage waiver with the rental company. The attorney for the other person in the accident contacted me to sign off that I was at fault and did not own a policy of automobile liability insurance coverage. Should I sign this form? I know I probably owe something, but should I find out what I owe with the insurance company before signing off on this?

He's probably asking you to sign an affidavit of no insurance so he can make a claim against his client's own uninsured motorist policy. Call him and if you still have concerns call a lawyer near you, but I don't think you need to worry

I agree with my colleague about the Affidavit of No Coverage but I would run it by a lawyer just to make sure it releases you from any further liability. Good luck!

It is probably nothing you need to be concerned about as he is likely pursuing a claim against his Uninsured Motorist coverage. Was he injured? If so, I would consult a local attorney to ensure you are not setting yourself up for a large subrogation claim (though you may face action from his insurance company who is paying out because of your negligence). If there is no injury, I would confirm this is the purpose of the form. If you have someone you trust who is an attorney, I would have them eyeball the form just for safety sake.

* Please note that I am an Attorney practicing in Georgia, but I am not your attorney. This post is intended to provide some helpful insight into your particular situation, but it should not be taken as legal advice. If you would like to discuss your Georgia Personal Injury, Medical Malpractice, or Criminal case, I am happy to discuss your specific situation with you at no cost to you. I can be reached at 404-996-5157 or Fareesh@SarangiLaw.com. If you found this Answer "Helpful" or " The Best Answer", please click the tab indicating that. Thank you!

It is important that you have your own attorney review what you are being asked to sign. Yes, it will cost you money, but, better safe than sorry.

Never sign without a lawyer first reviewing.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com