Accident

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

do the chiropractor must tell me how much my treatment will cost ? in most case there is a 10k pip at stake.
do i have to know how much each visit cost?

1. You have a right to ask what the charges will be up front.

2. You are certainly entitled to that information before you treat there and if the doctor refuses to tell you it may be a worrysome indicator. You would also be entitled to have a running total of the care you have received at any point. Be careful, though, not to micromanage your care.

3. You certainly have a right to know how much your treatment will cost. It is not unusual that a chiropractor will have you sign an assignment so they can direct bill your insurance company. There are many doctors, not just chiropractors, who want to bill out that $10,000 in PIP you have as quickly as possible.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me at 954-567-4100. Also, if you liked this answer did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button

4. You certainly could request copies of the bills (HCFA's or CMS form 1500) from either your attorney or the treating medical provider(s). The 10K PIP at stake relates to the amount of money which will be paid for reasonable, related and necessary medical treatment stemming from an accident at 80% of the reasonable amount billed up to a max of $10K (there's also lost wages and death benefits that could be payable at 60% per the PIP statute, FS s. 627.736). However, that money is not designed to include any of your pain and suffering. In order to recovery for pain and suffering, you would need a claim under the bodily injury portion of the tortfeasor's insurance coverage. If you have an attorney, all if this should have been explained to you from the beginning. If you're not currently represented, feel free to contact my office at 888-982-5111 or info@warricklaw.com to discuss further.

5. You should always know what your treatment is going to cost in any case. Chiropractors are the worst offenders of all medical providers. If they won't tell you, go to someone else. Talk to a local injury attorney.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Alabama. Responses are based solely on Alabama law unless stated otherwise.

6. A chiropractor should tell you how much their particular services cost, but they may not know how long you will require treatment and in that case they may be unable to predict the total cost for your accident-related injuries. Hope that helps.

This website contains general information about legal matters. The information provided by Jacob Regar is not legal advice, and should not be treated as such. The legal information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Jacob Regar makes no representations or warranties in relation to the legal information on this website. You must not rely on the information on this website (including Jacob Regar’s response to your question) as an alternative to legal advice from your attorney or other professional legal services provider. No attorney-client relationship is created through the exchange of information on this website. If you have any specific questions about any legal matter you should consult your attorney or other professional legal services provider. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information on this website.

7. You have an absolute right to know. In fact, for the doctor to get paid directly by the PIP carrier, the patient must countersign the form the doctor submits the claim on. Further every patient has a statutory right to a copy of his/her medcial bills. If they refuse, something is very clearly wrong. Whatever you do, NEVER sign the claim forms in blank. If you have a lawyer representing you for your injuries I would immediatly let the lawyer know and insist on seeing an itemizaton of the bills. I can cite you the administrative and statutory rules requiring all this if you need it. Good luck,

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply. Further, unless your matter concerns Florida law, I am not licensed to practice or give legal advice in your state.

8. Hmmm it is strange that the chiropractor will not provide you with the charges for the services you are receiving. You may want to discuss this with the lawyer that is handling your accident claim.
    If you do not have an attorney, feel free to contact

Law Office of Ruth E. Johnson

8925 SW 148th Street # 200
    Miami, FL 33176
    (305) 720-2086

This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted to the Florida Bar only and make no attempt to provide opinions on legal issueas that are not relevant to that state. This advice is based on general principles of law and ethics that may or may not relate to your specific situation. You should not solely rely on this advice and nothing in these communications creates an attorney client relationship

9. Yes! In fact you can request your own insurance company to send you copies of what has been billed and what they have actually allowed and paid. Good luck!