Accessory to armed robbery, what could the charge be lowered to? how much time would I do? could it get dropped?

Fort Worth, TX |

I was giving a friend a ride a few months back and come to find out he stole from walmart.. I did not know he was going in to steal and when he came out he just told me to drive, I didnt know what was going on, well a month later 2 detectives show up because they got my license plate and asked me about it of course I was scared so I denied knowing him... they came back a month later and arrested me for felony robbery because they had caught the guy, what can I do about this? is there a way that it can get off my record since it is my first charge? they said it is agg robbery because he tried to fight the loss prevention person

An accessory is just as responsible as the principal and can be charged with the principal's crime which is what happened to you. However if you just did something to aid him after he committed the crime you may be an accessory after the fact which carries lesser penalties. Based on what you have asked this is not going to get dropped.

Thank you, here in texas I dont think there actually is an "Accessory" charge so I am being charged as if I did the crime myself.. I am just wondering if there is a way to get the charge reduced and/or off my record

A party to the commission of an offense is as responsible as the main person under the law. You are being charged with a first degree felony, which is the same level of crime as a murder. Fighting loss prevention would make a shoplifting a robbery, but not aggravated robbery, so I can tell there is more information than this. Call around to defense attorneys in your area and line one up. You need someone good to fight for you.

I'm not licensed in TX or otherwise familiar with its laws and procedures, but what I have to say doesn't require that type of knowledge. First let me say I agree with the first two responses you've received here. My real focus is a bit different, and I will start with a question for you. "Why, when you have been charged with a serious felony, are you looking for answers on the Internet?" How is anything we say here going to charge your circumstance and the risk you run of a long stretch of incarceration? Use your time productively by interviewing candidates for the job of representing you in criminal court. Hire the very best lawyer you and others can afford for this hugely important project. Hopefully you will receive responses from one or more of the highly qualified criminal defense attorneys from your state who participate here. In the meantime use this website's "Find a Lawyer" feature. Do not post anymore information on this public website or anywhere else on the Internet. Get serious now, there's a whole lot at stake.

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Marvelous guidance.

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

Thank you kind sir.

I am just trying to see if it is even possible to get it lowered, I already have a lawyer, thank you very much, just cant talk to him until next week.

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

I prepared additional remarks in response to your most recent addition, but I accidentally deleted them before posting. I decided to recreate my thoughts because I think they were worth your consideration. I accordingly hope to have your patience for a bit longer. My main reason for this final undertaking is prompted by the revelation now that you have counsel who is not available to you to address this matter until next week. That questions of the sort in your initial posting are of major and immediate interest to you is entirely understandable and frankly seem like the sort of questions that would naturally be brought up and considered in the very earliest phase of the relationship with counsel. I don't bring this up because I am interested in the explanation for that circumstance, but rather to attempt to describe to you the high risk of damage to that relationship that I see flowing from your current effort to satisfy the need for answers to such major questions looming in your future. Since you have counsel, in my humble opinion, that individual should be your sole source of information and advice on this case. Only that lawyer has the thorough command of the underlying facts and circumstances needed to render effective legal representation. No attorney participating here intends any response to any questioner to be legal advice on how to handle any specific legal issue. We intend here to provide information/education about legal topics with the hope of guiding those seeking answers in the direction of obtaining sound legal advice that can be followed with confidence. Let me illustrate my main point here with the following hypothetical situation. Imagine that you receive one or more responses that you understand to be contrary to the advice you have gotten from your lawyer. It is reasonable to believe that one likely consequence of that would be that your confidence in your lawyer would be diminished--your confidence and faith in that lawyer undercut by something posted by an attorney who knows next to nothing about the situation. Now further imagine that the response(s) you got here were, in light of all of the pertinent information, misguided--poor advice or you simply misunderstood the meaning of the response(s). Either way, comments for lawyers lacking the needed background serves to hamper the sound advice coming from the only lawyer on the planet possessed of the necessary understanding. I hope you understand the point I'm trying to make. You are the one who has a constitutionally guaranteed right to counsel in the context of a criminal prosecution. Actively participate in that relationship by, among other things, bringing all of your questions and concerns to your lawyer. I am confident that if you had shown your attorney what you posted here today ahead of time and explained what you intended to do here, you would have been told in no uncertain terms that the concept was a very bad play. Be patient until next week it that is the way it is to be. If you are not satisfied with the representation you are receiving, you are certainly within YOUR rights to change counsel, but give your lawyer the opportunity to respond to your needs. I hope this last comment is received as it was intended to be received by you. Good luck in your case.

Thank you, yes that makes sense.. I was just more so wondering if it is 'possible' to get it reduced or dropped. I really dont want it on my record :(

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

Many things are possible in this field. Having a good attorneys greatly increases of realizing what's possible. I hope things work out favorably for you.

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

Chances of realizing. It's late here in PA.

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

The advice on this forum is no substitute for the counsel you already have. Nor is it something to be used to test your attorney's knowledge. Even though you will have to wait to speak with your attorney on this matter, it is best that you do and not post anything on this forum that may convict you. Take Care!

Simple answer: everyone here is correct. Its possible to get charged reduced. I have no idea how likely. It depends on evidence against you, your attorney and DA mostly. Getting all this off your record...? Not likely unless charge is dismissed... or u are acquitted at trial.

BEST ANSWER I got....and I hope I was HELPFUL! My answers do not establish an attorney/client relationship. Contact Steve Hamer at (214) 843-1529 for a FREE CONSULTATION.

Violent crime topics