Access to mental health court records?

Asked over 1 year ago - Sharon, MA

I filed a Request for Emergency Hearing pursuant to MGL c.123, s.12(b). I never received a copy of the judge's decision on my request or even a phone call. The hospital's physician told me that the court denied my request. This hospitalization was in 2008. Now I mailed the Clerk-Magistrate of the court a request for a copy of the judge's decision in December 2012. I provided a copy of my government-issued I.D. I called the court and spoke with the mental health liaison. She confirmed that they received my request and I would be hearing from someone shortly. I still haven't received a response from the Clerk's office. What should I do?

1. Emma A. Kremer

1

1

Answered . The court system can be slow at times and it can be frustrating waiting for a decision. If you sent your request in December, it may take some time for a response to your request. If you recently called the court, I would wait another few weeks to call again as it sounds like they have received your request. If it has been a while since you last called for an update, call again. Best of luck.

2. Mikal M. Weiss

1

Answered . I strongly suggest you seek legal help with this issue. You have rights under MGL 123 and occasionally court personnel misinterpret those rights.