Access to mental health court records?

Sharon, MA |
Filed under: Discovery

I filed a Request for Emergency Hearing pursuant to MGL c.123, s.12(b). I never received a copy of the judge's decision on my request or even a phone call. The hospital's physician told me that the court denied my request. This hospitalization was in 2008. Now I mailed the Clerk-Magistrate of the court a request for a copy of the judge's decision in December 2012. I provided a copy of my government-issued I.D. I called the court and spoke with the mental health liaison. She confirmed that they received my request and I would be hearing from someone shortly. I still haven't received a response from the Clerk's office. What should I do?

The court system can be slow at times and it can be frustrating waiting for a decision. If you sent your request in December, it may take some time for a response to your request. If you recently called the court, I would wait another few weeks to call again as it sounds like they have received your request. If it has been a while since you last called for an update, call again. Best of luck.

Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. (It lets us know how we are doing.) Attorney Kremer is licensed to practice in Massachusetts. Please visit her Avvo profile for contact information. In accordance with Avvo guidelines, the following disclaimer applies to all responses given in this forum: The above is NOT legal advice, and is NOT intended to be legal advice. No Attorney-Client relationship is created through the above answer.

I strongly suggest you seek legal help with this issue. You have rights under MGL 123 and occasionally court personnel misinterpret those rights.

not be worth the expense. DISCLAIMER—This answer is for informational purposes only under the AVVO system, its terms and conditions. It is not intended as specific legal advice regarding your question. The answer could be different if all the facts were known. This answer does not establish an attorney client relationship. I am admitted only in the Commonweath of Massachusetts.