Skip to main content

Access to "public agency" record's. How do I obtain them. Does it require a Lawyer?

Daytona Beach, FL |

Florida Statutes Section 119 . 01 ( 2 ) ( a ) : Public Agency's must take step's to ensure that their electronic records are properly maintained and available when requested . Florida electronic records includes video / audio / computer . I'm involved in a lawsuit against a central Florida hospital . Recently a OSHA inspector , based on my information went to this hospital to look at video that would have proven certain thing's said by the hospital Attorney to be false . The OSHA inspector was told , the video's are " purged " every fifteen day's . Was this a state violation ? Also , I know for a fact that maintenance record's for bed / stretcher repairs have been altered . Is the hospital required by law ( public agency ) to hand them over if I submit a request ? I was fired for trying to report a safety issue .

This hospital receives state and local tax funding,that's why I believe it is a "public agency". For over five year's I kept bed/stretcher repair record's on scrap paper. The hospital did not want them entered into their computer record. I had to go through two supervisor's,one head of security,and two Daytona Police officers. The Police officers determined it was my property, and I was allowed to leave with the "scrap paper" record's.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Unless it is a state, county or city run hospital, it is not a public agency. Most hospitals in Florida that I am aware of are private for profit or non-profit corporations not subject to Chapter 119. OSHA regulations are federal regulations separate from Fla Ch. 119 and can be found in the Code of Federal Regulations.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft


There may be other laws, rules or regulations covering what you want. For example, you can put a person or entity on notice not to destroy evidence. I strongly suggest you obtain an attorney.

State, local, and municipal law topics

Recommended articles about State, local, and municipal law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer