Accepting a second job on EAD

Asked over 1 year ago - Durham, NC

Hi, I am currently on H1B visa and my 485 is pending. I have got my EAD. My workload is very low and one of my old clients want my help for few months. So I am planning to forfeit my H1B and use my EAD so that I can accept the second job. I just want to know if it is legal to work for two employers (one of the employers is the GC sponsor) while on EAD. If so, do I need to file AC21 or any other type paperwork.

Thanks in advance.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . It is legal. There is no paperwork required. But if you don't work for your sponsoring employer full-time, you may encounter problems in obtaining a green card. Everything else being equal, I would retain my H-1B.

    Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Giving up your H-1B will severely limit your options if USCIS denies the I-485.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,762 answers this week

3,039 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,762 answers this week

3,039 attorneys answering