AC21 portability on EAD or H1B beyond 6 years. Aren't they both invalid if I 485 gets denied?

Company A applied for my GC and I have approved I140 and pending I485 since 2007. I want to move to another company B using AC21 but I am not sure if I should ask new company for H1B transfer or use EAD instead Some people suggest to use H1B incase something happens with I485 application and H1B will keep me in status. H1B beyond 6 years or EAD will have same risk of being invalid if for any reasons I485 application gets denied.

Aurora, IL -

Stephen D. Berman

Stephen D. Berman

Immigration Attorney - Chicago, IL

The benefit of keeping the H1b is that if adjustment is denied, you will not have any period out of valid nonimmigrant status, nor any unauthorized employment.

J Charles Ferrari

J Charles Ferrari

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

Not being on H-1B status eliminates your options if the I-485 is denied.

Related Advice