Abuse of Discretion Cont

Asked 5 months ago - Cresson, PA

I asked the judge at my sentencing hearing if he thought I was guilty, to which he responded "yes." He has a long history with the alleged victim and his family. He ordered a PFA, oversaw dependency hearings threatened me on the record with "nasty, nasty things." He obviously has ill will towards me and violated my constitutional rights. I believe judges are only immune when they make good faith rulings. Any advice?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Thomas J. Wagner

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can't be sentence for a crime unless you have been found guilty or pled guilty (or non contendere), so if you wer at a sentencing hearing, legally you were guilty. A motion to recuse is determined byt the judge you are asking to be recused in most circumstances. Did you make a motion to recuse? I'm not sure in what way you think he violated your constitutional rights.

  2. John M. Kaman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . What constitutional violation do you accuse him of? A "history" with the alleged does not automatically disqualify him.

  3. Valerie Semmes Bouffiou

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The attorney who assisted you in withdrawing your plea or the appeal would be in a better position to refer you to an attorney if he thought you had a case, but it doesn't sound like you do. Again, judges have immunity from these kinds of lawsuits.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now