Abuse of authority by probation officer?

Asked over 3 years ago - Phoenix, AZ

I am having problems working with my probation officer, who always turns everything I say around, accuses me of lying, and doesn't listen to any of my concerns. I took all of my classes and followed all of the rules I was given. When I voice a complaint about the probation office not properly informing me of some of the guidelines - I am told I am "difficult and argumentative" and now I have been given an excessive amount of extra classes and unjustified terms of my probation. I have never raised my voice or even appeared argumentative. Are there any cases I can reference about people being mistreated by the probation office? I have a review coming up soon and want to do some research before talking to the judge.

1. Paul E Knost

Answered . Being on probation means that your freedom is limited. It's not supposed to be easy. The alternative to probation is jail or prison. The best strategy for you to follow is to obey your probation officer's every command. Unless your probation officer did something truly and demonstrably outrageous and/or illegal, the Court will always side with the Court employee who is assigned to supervise you -- your probation officer. Challenging your probation officer is only going to cause you more problems.

This is not legal advice. This is only for informational purposes.
  2. Juan Carlos Garcia Jr

Answered . I would advise talking to a criminal defense lawyer about your situation with your probation officer. Perhaps talking with your probation officer about the situation might help. It would be a good idea to speak with a criminal defense lawyer before your next court hearing.

Juan C. Garcia, Jr.
    GARCIA LAW OFFICE, LLC
    www.juangarcialawoffice.com