About to be 17on June 12 2014. Stable job,can move alone or with legal adult(friend).What are possible charges if I leave home

Santa Rosa Beach, FL |

I will be 17 this June 12. My mother lives in Georgia and I am staying with my grandmother for summer. Reason for wanting to leave: I can support myself, and I am very independent. I have a paying job, and can easily get 3 or 4 more if needed. What are the charges if I do decide to leave when I'm 17?

Before you can ask charges the biggest question is who is this "friend" and the nature of the relationship? There's a greater likelihood that your"friend" would face charges. But that depends on alot of private factors. You should talk to your family first and then an attorney in private.

As we don't know enough about your case, you should not consider my answer to be legal advice. You would need to consult with an attorney at length and include details about what has occurred in order to adequately assess your criminal exposure. Also, I am licensed in the state of New York only. If this is a federal case, provided more information were given, we could give you a better idea of the sentencing range. If it is state only, you will need an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction to address this.

Literally just a friend that's a girl. I am a girl also.

If you are able to support yourself financially, you should have an attorney file the proper motion to have you emancipated. This will solve these issues for you.

Please be advised that by answering a general question on this public forum DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship with the asker. Any answer given is a generalized answer based on the facts presented in the question and therefore any answer given is not legal advice. It is for informational purposes only. Only an attorney with all the facts and circumstances with whom you have consulted with in person can give you legal advice. www.hendersonlegalgroup.com

Unless I am reading this wrong it sounds to me like you have a GA law question.

If you live in GA and are temporarily in FL and remain here against your parent's, with whom your are domiciled and who live in GA, then your bigger problem will be with GA law and procedure and not with FL.

Still, I agree with my colleague that "emancipation" is the ticket. Although I am not a family lawyer and do not do this sort of work I did a quick Google search and found the following link on the emancipation process in Volusia County, FL (note that other Counties may have varying costs or procedures but the State Statute remains the same for all Florida jurisdictions).

Please see: http://www.vclawlib.org/new/research-feb-09/EMANCIPATION20IN20FLORIDA[1].pdf

I hope that I have been helpful in answering your question.

First, second and third: No attorney-client relationship exists by virtue of any Q&A with Michael A. Haber, Esq. on Avvo. Fourth: Anything that you post on Avvo (or on similar sites) or on any social media is by its nature public. It is essentially an admission / confession and can be introduced into evidence as a statement against your interest in a subsequent legal proceeding. Once posted you lose any reasonable expectation of privacy, so, as this is an open forum (with no privilege attached), please be extra careful when considering what to post online (forewarned is forearmed.)

Juvenile law topics