About to be 17on June 12 2014. Stable job,can move alone or with legal adult(friend).What are possible charges if I leave home

Asked 4 months ago - Santa Rosa Beach, FL

I will be 17 this June 12. My mother lives in Georgia and I am staying with my grandmother for summer. Reason for wanting to leave: I can support myself, and I am very independent. I have a paying job, and can easily get 3 or 4 more if needed. What are the charges if I do decide to leave when I'm 17?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Stephen George Henderson


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If you are able to support yourself financially, you should have an attorney file the proper motion to have you emancipated. This will solve these issues for you.

    Please be advised that by answering a general question on this public forum DOES NOT establish an attorney-client... more
  2. Michael Adam Haber


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Unless I am reading this wrong it sounds to me like you have a GA law question.

    If you live in GA and are temporarily in FL and remain here against your parent's, with whom your are domiciled and who live in GA, then your bigger problem will be with GA law and procedure and not with FL.

    Still, I agree with my colleague that "emancipation" is the ticket. Although I am not a family lawyer and do not do this sort of work I did a quick Google search and found the following link on the emancipation process in Volusia County, FL (note that other Counties may have varying costs or procedures but the State Statute remains the same for all Florida jurisdictions).

    Please see: http://www.vclawlib.org/new/research-feb-09/EMA...

    I hope that I have been helpful in answering your question.

    First, second and third: No attorney-client relationship exists by virtue of any Q&A with Michael A. Haber, Esq.... more
  3. Ryan G. Blanch


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Before you can ask charges the biggest question is who is this "friend" and the nature of the relationship? There's a greater likelihood that your"friend" would face charges. But that depends on alot of private factors. You should talk to your family first and then an attorney in private.

    As we don't know enough about your case, you should not consider my answer to be legal advice. You would need to... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,641 answers this week

3,111 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,641 answers this week

3,111 attorneys answering