About my wife's grandmothers will

71913 |

My wife asked a couple of days ago about her grandmothers will in which she stated that she has a copy of the will also. The will states that an initial amount was to be divided to the great grand children and any amount accrued from the time the will was made to the time of death was also to be divided. The executrix of the will and the beneficiary of the insurance policies happens to be my wife's mother. Reason I ask is, I am stating to sense foul play. about the distribution of the will. What my wife did not mention was the fact that she has had in her possession , for a number of years now, a legal power of attorney over her grandmother and her mother does not. I do realize that now her grandmother had passed, the power of attorney has become null and void.

1. It is not at all clear what you are asking. If you believe that something is wrong, the only way you are going to get to the bottom of this is by contacting an attorney. The sooner you do this, the better chance you have of protecting your rights.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

2. You didn't mention why you suspect foul play. The mere fact that your wife had a power of attorney from her grandmother and your mother-in-law was nominated as the executrix doesn't see, by itself, to indicate foul play. People will often grant one person a power of attorney and name someone else as executor in a will. Nor is is uncommon for someone to name someone as a beneficiary of a life insurance policy and also nominate that same person a the executrix under the will.

With all that said, if you believe that the is some foul play or that the estate is not being handled correctly, you need to get your own attorney so they can ensure everything is handled correctly.

This response is for information purposes only, it does not create any attorney-client relationship. Responses to questions posted on this Forum are of a general nature only. Because it is not possible to have all of the facts of your issue addressed in this forum, you should consult with an attorney to review the unique circumstances specific to your situation. www.TheSchollLawFirm.com

3. My colleagues are correct. Your statement does not in itself present a question. Based on the facts you shared, what makes you suspect that there has been foul play? This may be a situation where contacting a local attorney may be beneficial.

** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** My response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attoreny-client relationship. When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel. Law Offices of Eric J. Gold www.EGoldLaw.com Telephone: 818-279-2737 Email: service@egoldlaw.con

Wills and estates topics