About how much money can I expect to get from a minor rear-end collision where I was not at fault?

Asked 12 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

Got rear ended in the freeway last month, damages were minor; $1200.00 to repair car damages, the investigation just concluded and it came to be that I was 0% at fault, which I was and the person who hit me from behind is 100% at fault; I have a lawyer involved, and I am still going to physcial theraphy. Settlements says to finish maybe by September, I am wondering if I can get something good out of this? Person, who rear-ended me has full-coverage, and I have only liability with medical and some damage coverage.

1. Kristin E. Hobbs

9

Answered . Ask your attorney. They have the facts to make a more accurate assessment than any of us on the forum.

2. Malosack Berjis

7

Answered . I believe most people in your position wonder the same thing (and, rightfully so). However, have you asked your lawyer to address this inquiry for you? I ask this because he/she is in the best position to discuss such a matter with you, given that he/she is more familiar with your case (and the facts surrounding it), than any attorney on this website.

3. Michael R Crosner

6

Answered . Only your attorney knows all the facts and the degree of your injuries etc. - you need to direct these questions to your attorney

4. Paul J Molinaro

Pro

5

Answered . A very common question, or variant thereof, on Avvo, and in many a personal injury attorney office is "I just got rear-ended, how much can I get?"

The answer is... and every law student hears his favorite professor's voice say it... "It depends."

Depends on the severity of the injury(s) suffered, the ease of proving the severity of said injuries (soft tissue with normal diagnostics or broken bones, little physical damage to the vehicles involved or the jaws of life being needed for extraction, etc.), the amount of lost work, past present, the medical bills, past and present, pain and suffering, and many factors and not the least important of which is the amount of available recovery... bad news is when the defendant driver had minimum coverage ($15k) and no other viable source of recovery... worse is no insurance at all and judgment proof at fault driver. One's personal injury attorney, if experienced in the ways of personal injury, will be able to explain the factors and be able to get the best recovery for the specific siutaution.

- Paul

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D.
    Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker
    Fransen & Molinaro, LLP
    4160 Temescal Canyon Road, Suite 306
    Corona, CA 92833
    (951)520-9684
    www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com

"When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW."

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.
    ** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law and does so anywhere in the State of California.

Pro

6

Answered . Your attorney is the only one with the facts, so give him a call to discuss.

6. Christian A. Myer

Pro

5

Answered . Loaded question. Too many variables involved for any attorney, aside from your own to give you value. You have failed to leave out the most critical fact that would be used to determine value...damages. Damages are based on a variety of things but the most critical are your actual injuries. You made no mention of injuries. Liability rarely plays a role in value unless you are some how partly at fault which you are not. Talk to your attorney but if you failed to mention your injuries they are probably not that bad which means you shouldn't expect a major windfall of any sort.

7. Merry Melinda Fountain

Pro

5

Answered . Your own attorney would be in the best position to answer specific questions regarding the value of your personal injury case, and that is who you should ask. That being said, because you were not at fault the other person's insurer needs to compensate you for your medical bills, pain and suffering and any income loss. The amount you receive is not subject to any formula but is based in part on the severity of your injury, the type and length of medical treatment, and whether you had any permanent impairment.