About how long would it take me to become a US Citizen here in California?

Watsonville, CA |

I want to become a US Citizen as soon as possible and want to bring my husband over he hasn't been in the US before and would like to know how long would take it as well?

A legal permanent resident (Green Card holder) is required to among other requirements maintain continuous residence for 5 years in the United States. Another requirement is that an applicant must have lived in the State they are applying from for at least 3 months prior to filing. Since we do not know a lot of the relevant information from you question its hard to answer your question. However, assuming you are a legal permanent resident that has had continuous residence for 5 years then the naturalization interview could take between 3-6 months. Once you obtained U.S. citizenship a case for your husband could be 6 months to over a year depending on a lot of factors some of which have to do with the home consulate. I would suggest you consult with an experienced immigration attorney to help you file.

DISCLAIMER: The information you obtained in this answer is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice and it should not be construed as a formation of a client-attorney relationship or legal representation, which can only occur after the execution of a formal engagement letter or retainer agreement. For a FREE Consultation call (212) 804-5770 or visit us at

I been a permanent residence for 12 years already and i have been living here more than 3 months already.. Thank you though

about 4-6 months to become a citizen if you are a permanent resident. Approximately a year to bring husband over

The waiting times average about 6 months.

Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Recommended articles about Immigration