About Durable Power Of Attorney: Can my son sell the house when I am abroad (absent) and NOT for medical reasons?

Asked over 2 years ago - Palo Alto, CA

I looked at several Durable POA forms - each states only _medical_ reasons.
But now I found http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/powers-of-...
where it says,
"This document may be used when a person becomes mentally or physically incapacitated, or when they are absent"

So should I change the standard phrasing in Durable POA form to have it based on absence and not medical reasons?

P.S. I even filled out one - at it's ONLY medical at the very top:

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Janet Lee Brewer


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . There are 2 different POA types - one for medical matters and a separate one for financial matters. In addition, the financial POA can be set up to handle transactions while you have mental capacity to do things yourself or when you are incapacitated.

    Most title companies have very specific language that they want to see in a power of attorney that permits someone else to sell your real estate. Most forms you find on the web or in an office supplies store lack that language.

    As the other attorneys have said, you need competent legal advice to make sure that the form will work when you need it to.

    My office is in Palo Alto. We'd be happy to assist you.

    The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The... more
  2. Lawrence A Friedman

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Do it yourself power of attorney is a really, really, really bad idea. {Oh and did I mention how really bad an idea it is?}

    A power of attorney can be an extremely powerful instrument. For instance, if agent under your POA sells your home to innocent third parties, you may be unable to reverse the sale even if it is against your wishes. While you may have a claim against the agent, that would be of little consolation if you lose your home in the process. A POA may be very important to minimize tax and protect assets if you need long term care, but unless the POA satisfies rigorous state requirements, it may not do the job. It is difficult to impossible for a person without legal training and expertise in trusts and estates law to recognize all the potential pitfalls and design a POA that meets the principal's needs. It is very much worth the legal fees to have instruments such as powers of attorney and wills prepared by a lawyer. Lawrence Friedman, Bridgewater, NJ. Certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the ABA approved National Elder Law Foundation, former Chair NJ State Bar Association Elder and Disabilities Law Section, Member Board of Consultors of NJSBA Real Property, Trusts & Estates Law Section, Vice Chair Special Needs Law Section of National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, and Master of Laws (L.L.M.) in Taxation from N.Y.U. School of Law.

  3. Ruth Elaine McMahon

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should consult an attorney in the state where you live so that your wishes are carried out properly. Some states have powers of attorney that go into effect only when a person is incapacitate; all states have powers of attorney that go into effect immeidately; all states can have limited powers of attorney for specific purposes. I do not recommend any forms from the Internet because they may not be appropriate for the issue you want to resolve. The Agent (holder of the power) is a fiduciary ahd should ONLY act in the grantor's best intersts. But, most attorneys have seen abuses of powers and, therefore, one must be careful about what is included in the power of attorney and who the grantor appoints as his or her agent.

  4. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should meet with an attorney and explain exactly what you want, under what conditions, and set a time period for it to be effective.
    It can be very restrictive to the sale of certain real estate only.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of... more

Related Topics

Estate planning and durable power of attorney

A durable power of attorney gives the person you name a legal right to act for you, even if you become incapacitated, until you either die or revoke the right.

Kenneth Albert Vercammen

Durable Power of Attorney

Reasons to have a Power of Attorney in NJ What are these powers of attorney? A Power of Attorney is a written document in which a competent adult individual (the "principal") appoints... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,875 answers this week

3,364 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,875 answers this week

3,364 attorneys answering