About 6 years ago a guy from the i nternet started to attack me, sexually and financially it lasted for years before i realized

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

it all the police did ws tke a report. i was and still am under psychiatric treatment from the whole ordeal. cn i sue the police for not arresting this person.?i lost my job because f him, he robbed me stalked me online damaged my property, robbed me. i am also on social services now so wuld i be able to toll statutes of limitation if necessary also?

Additional information

why cant police be sued if damages were still happening and the police didnt arrest the guy? what can the police be sued for?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You cannot sue the police for not arresting someone.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases.... more
  2. Herbert J Tan

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Also, this type of question would better be served under police misconduct analysis, not labor and employment.

    Herbert Tan, Esq.
    E-mail: Herbert@tanlaws.com
    Website: www.tanlaws.com

    The National Newark Building
    744 Broad Street, 16th Fl.
    Newark, New Jersey 07102
    (973) 735-2681 (W)
    (973) 735-2682 (F)

    Manhattan Office
    305 Broadway, 14th Floor
    New York, New York 10007
    (888) TAN-LAWS

    Member of National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA)

  3. Kevin Rindler Madison


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . In most states you cannot sue the police for not arresting someone or sue a prosecutor for not prosecuting someone. In most states police officers have immunity from such lawsuits. You may want to have a civil attorney investigate the merits of a civil lawsuit against this person who stalked you. Contact an attorney in your locale who handles civil personal injury cases.

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think... more
  4. Rixon Charles Rafter III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should be trying to sue the guy who was stalking you. You won't be able to sue police or prosecutors.

    READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,045 answers this week

2,771 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,045 answers this week

2,771 attorneys answering