Abandoned property in Massachusetts.

Asked over 2 years ago - Boston, MA

What is the law regarding abandoned property in Massachusetts. Is the landlord/roommate required to store it, and if so how long before a storage facility may sell it off? Also, if you send a 93A letter by certified mail, and it is refused, does the law presume that USPS First Class mail is received if sent, much like some government agencies?

Thank you

I was the tenant, and fled out of fear because she had thrown me into a wall at one point. She devivered a Notice to Quit on the VERY evening after a contempt hearing, and has refused certified letters and returned priority mail to sender since March. I also sent First Class Mail. I have a feeling that she disposed of my stuff that has much value, but never notified me. She DID have my phone numbers and my sisters had my email (she does not use computers), but did not have a new address, because I was deemed homeless in my new state. She did never call to try and find out how to notify me if they were being stored. My only income is SSDI and she knows I am disabled.

1. Nathaniel A Tripp

1

Best Answer

Answered . Generally, a landlord would be wise to seek authority from the court before deeming property abandoned. If not careful, the landlord may open himself up to liability. Your question and comments imply you did not willingly leave the property and may have some claims against your landlord, even if all the property is as it was when you left. Further, the limited information indicates that there may be some complexities to your claims which you ought to seek assistance from an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, check with the local bar association for legal service organizations in your area which may be able to assist you at no cost.

2. Michael T. Cupoli III

Answered . Are you the landlord or tenant?