Abandoned property in Massachusetts.

Boston, MA |

What is the law regarding abandoned property in Massachusetts. Is the landlord/roommate required to store it, and if so how long before a storage facility may sell it off? Also, if you send a 93A letter by certified mail, and it is refused, does the law presume that USPS First Class mail is received if sent, much like some government agencies?

Thank you

I was the tenant, and fled out of fear because she had thrown me into a wall at one point. She devivered a Notice to Quit on the VERY evening after a contempt hearing, and has refused certified letters and returned priority mail to sender since March. I also sent First Class Mail. I have a feeling that she disposed of my stuff that has much value, but never notified me. She DID have my phone numbers and my sisters had my email (she does not use computers), but did not have a new address, because I was deemed homeless in my new state. She did never call to try and find out how to notify me if they were being stored. My only income is SSDI and she knows I am disabled.

Generally, a landlord would be wise to seek authority from the court before deeming property abandoned. If not careful, the landlord may open himself up to liability. Your question and comments imply you did not willingly leave the property and may have some claims against your landlord, even if all the property is as it was when you left. Further, the limited information indicates that there may be some complexities to your claims which you ought to seek assistance from an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, check with the local bar association for legal service organizations in your area which may be able to assist you at no cost.

I am not your attorney and cannot possibly consider all the appropriate facts based solely on your question. Consequently, this response and any follow up comments are designed to provide general information only and should not be construed as legal advice or legal opinion that you can rely upon. If you want something more, you need to hire an attorney. This response shall not create a lawyer/client relationship.

2. Are you the landlord or tenant?

This is not legal advice and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. You should speak to an attorney for further information. This Web site is a public resource for general information only. No information in this Web site should be used by the reader as a sole source of legal advice. For specific legal advice contact an attorney directly. In accordance with rules established by the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts, this web site must be labeled “advertising.”